About new charity Broxbourne Big Local
Broxbourne Big Local (BBL) is a new charity (currently seeking registered charitable status) which aims to promote new opportunities and to create new life chances for residents in Wormley, Turnford and the Borough of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
BBL aims to create an enduring legacy from the work undertaken since 2012 by the Wormley & Turnford Big Local (WTBL) project. Part of the Big Local network of community initiatives, WTBL has developed a range of diverse activities such as a walking group, a sewing bee, a parent and child group, a community allotment, steel pan workshops, ESOL lessons, film making workshops and arts activities amongst many other things. The most recent and important achievement has been securing the local community centre from the council on a 999-year lease at a peppercorn rent.
BBL has been set up by WTBL to manage the community centre, to raise funds, to sustain the existing work of WTBL as its Big Local funding is expended, and to develop new community projects.
Broxbourne Big Local (BBL) is a charity in formation. To realise the bold ambitions set out above its current small Trustee body is looking to recruit two new members:
- One to develop the financial governance policies of the charity and then to act as a Treasurer;
- A second to help form and oversee the charity’s community development strategy, including putting in place evaluation systems to build an evidence base of the charity’s impact.
Key tasks include:
- Financial oversight and assistance with the strategic development of a growing organisation;
- Overseeing the charity’s relationship with the local Council for Voluntary Service which will provide finance management services for the time being;
- Developing and fulfilling a Treasurer role;
- Presenting a financial overview at BBL Trustee meetings (bi-monthly).
We are particularly interested in hearing from those with previous finance management or accounting experience. Familiarity with the charity sector would be very useful.
Community Development Trustee
Key tasks include:
- Supporting the design of community consultation exercises;
- Assisting in evaluating the impact of community initiatives;
- Identifying and supporting applications to prospective funding sources for community activities.
We would be very interested to hear from those with experience of community organisations e.g. tenants and residents’ associations, tenant management organisations, citizens panels etc., knowledge of funding sources for community activities and with some local knowledge.
What do you get as a volunteer Trustee of our organisation?
- An opportunity to exercise your specialist experience, skills and knowledge for the benefit of local communities;
- A chance to augment your experience of charities;
- An opportunity to be in at the ground floor of something that could really take off, helping to shape BBL’s vision and to equip BBL for the future.
What do we get?
- Your skills, experience and knowledge;
- Your abilities to help our charity grow in line with our strategic plans;
- Enhancement to our governance and the Board of trustees;
- Your participation in our collective decision-making, contributing to all areas of our charity work;
- Your enthusiasm.
What do our beneficiaries get?
- The ability to increase activities and support;
- A well-governed charity, sustainable for the future;
- A forward-looking and agile organisation, with a well-informed Board of Trustees.
Are you interested?
If so please send a CV and a short note indicating why you would like to join us at BBL to email@example.com by Monday 15 March 2021.
Want to know more?
For an informal conversation about BBL please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an informal call. We will be holding a recruitment conversation with prospective Trustees by Zoom on the evening of Thursday 25 March 2021.
Broxbourne Big Local (Co registration no 12055143 )